To maintain an atmosphere appropriate for work, study and enjoyment for all library users and staff, the following policy on behavior in the Carnegie Public Library of East Liverpool has been established. Library staff will courteously, but firmly, enforce this policy.
Appropriate library activities include: browsing for materials, reading, thinking, quiet conversation, homework, writing reports and researching. If library games, puzzles, computers or audio-visual equipment are available, they are to be used quietly, so as not to disturb others. Group study of up to four at one table and quiet tutoring of one or two students is permitted. Group study by, or tutoring of, more students at one time, or any other group work which creates enough noise to disrupt other patrons, must be conducted in the meeting room, following meeting room policies and procedures.
Inappropriate activities include:
1. Loud or boisterous behavior,
2. Conversation that is disturbing to other patrons or employees,
3. Profanity or other abusive language to other patrons or employees,
4. Abusing library furniture, equipment or materials,
5. Running in the building,
6. Harassing others, either verbally or through actions, harassment may include initiating unwanted conversations, impeding access to the building, etc.,
7. Fighting on library property,
8. Using tobacco in any form while inside the library building,
9. Possession, sale or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances on library property,
10. Eating or drinking in the library.
11. Sleeping in the library.
12. Buying or selling of any kind, or soliciting for personal gain or charitable purposes,
13. Using radios, other personal listening devices or cell phone rings and alerts at a level that can be heard by others,
14. Skateboarding, rollerblading and like activities anywhere on library property,
15. Distributing literature, taking surveys, or asking individuals or employees to sign petitions or similar activities,
16. No animals are permitted in the library other than guide dogs and the like,
17. Shirts and shoes are required,
18. Using emergency exits at times other than during an emergency,
19. Moving furniture or putting feet on furniture,
21. Inappropriate public displays of affection,
22. The handicapped entrance and elevator are restricted to adults and handicapped patrons only.
Patrons who are behaving inappropriately or disruptively will be warned that the behavior must stop. If the behavior is not immediately corrected, the person will be requested to leave the premises. For serious violations, patrons may be asked to leave even if they correct the problem. Anyone who does not leave after being told to do so will be considered a trespasser and will be treated accordingly, including involving the police. Habitual abusers of library rules may have library privileges restricted for a period of time. A minor (anyone under 18 years of age) who creates chronic problems may be required, for up to three months, to bring a responsible adult when visiting the library who will remain with him or her in the library.
These rules have been adopted for the comfort and protection of all those using library materials and services. The Library staff will courteously, but firmly, enforce them. We ask your cooperation in maintaining a pleasant atmosphere, conducive to the effective use of the library.
Adopted Oct. 20, 1999, updated February 17, 2010